Tuesday 21 November 2017

Music week

My parents came over at the beginning of the week, so the boys helped me clean and tidy the house in the morning. Grandad played with the boys and Mum and I went out for a few hours.

As the boys decided they wanted a music themed week, we looked at treble and clef notes.


Then watched a TED talk.



Tried Staff Wars..which is fun but in typical style the boys expected to be able to play it without grasping the rules and there were a few frustrations initially. We also researched other interactive musical games and looked up films about musicians.



Owen wrote to a sound engineer to ask about equiptment and spent time watching instructions about sounds from this YouTuber. He really enjoyed it and said it was very interesting.



Sam has been up since 5am and has a terrible cold and hacking cough. I think he did well to come te anything today as he looks very rough. Whilst Owen was watching instructional talks, he and I made pain au chocolate..his fav.




Sam didn't eat much at lunch despite me making sausage and mash. So I doubt it's a good ide he gone to his jujitsu class later. When I mentioned this to him his little lip wobbled..he was so looking forward to showing off his new belt.

Owen and I tried to order some more Julie Edwards books via inter library loan, but sadly our service doesn't have any yet. We managed to get another two from Amazon and they will arrive tomorrow ..I expect he will have read both books in two days.



Despite feeling unwell Sam decided to go to Jujitsu...I suspect because he wanted to show his new belt off. However, this meant he had to use his inhaler and came home exhausted and teary. He did manage to sleep but woke up feeling worse. We cancelled our plans to go to laser quest with friends, much to the boys disappointment. Owen was really good and didn't give Sam a hard time over being unwell. 

We did a little math,  Sam struggled to organise his work. It's really hard because I would be happy (ish) to let him doze under a blanket whilst he's ill but he would be antsy with nothing to occupy his brain with ..also Owen would expect the day off too...so I just scale stuff down and make it low key. 







To keep with the music theme, we watch some mini documentaries:







Then off the back of this we searched out cartoons with 'classic' well known music...I enjoyed seeing some of them again and the children had some giggles.



Everyone shout 'kill ve wabbbit!' to Wagner ...😂.  Parenting win.

Sam didn't want to do music related activities today ( he's a bit tetchy) , so he binge watched White Rabbit, which is very similar to Myth Busters. He had been up since 5:15am. 

Owen came down after reading his new book and ate his breakfast keeping Sam and White Rabbit company. I had suggested Owen think of what he wanted to do with me but he drew a blank. I am hoping both boys will one day be able to come up with some concrete suggestions for their work because their PDA/ASD tends to make them reject things out of hand regularly.

Eventually, they settle on wanting to do maths......eeevvvventualllllllyyyyyyyyyyy.



Sam struggled with this yesterday ( subtracting decimals) but had it cracked today. 


Owen did order of operations so fast I couldn't keep up. He then went on to do some maths speed tests..but the speed element freaked him out a bit.


He then asked me to cut his hair and watched some more sound engineer lessons.




It's been a very tricky morning. Both lads gave me the run a round and I had to be very firm with them about a number of things. Sometimes nothing goes to plan and I felt a bit frazzled by the time our very late lunch time came round, so they were reminded of some ground rules.


We had some snow on Friday morning, which was a bit of a surprise and cut my run short.


Also Blokey and I were sad to notice our old dog was not picking up after taking a turn for the worst earlier in the week. Sometimes she would rally, but this time she wasn't. We gently let the boys know that we feared we would need to decide what was best for her soon.




 We spent a quiet weekend at home with her but it was becoming increasingly obvious that she was struggling more and more. I decided I would ring the Vet first thing in Monday. Sunday night she slept with me and Blokey in our bed, instead at by the side of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment