Monday 30 January 2017

Science, maths, guitar playing, poo and poverty.


Owen work well on his maths problems today.



Then we continued looking at forces. I had found some programmes by Dick and Dom, so we watched the one on gravity. They are hilarious and Owen enjoyed it immensely.



Sam has come down with a cold so he played his guitar and worked on RM maths. He's practicing using his right hand fingers to pluck the strings more successfully. After doing and extra session of maths he decided to vacuum downstairs before going off to play on his PC.


As is usual at the moment, we started off with some maths. Sam worked on RM because he prefers that. He was pleased he got his highest score.


Owen and I started working on Infinity maths, but it was very glitchy , so we gave up after a while and did some RM maths before Owen lost all patience.


Next the boys wanted to watch some more of the Genius programs. They chose the one about poo, which had Sam and I retching in places. We learn about the sewers and where poo goes, how it's treated and the by products.



The children particularly liked the bits where Dick and Dom set things on fire and caused explosions using methane.


The boys played on their PCs in the afternoon, then went to jujitsu.

Both boys woke with stinking colds and Sam has an awful cough. I accepted it was going to be a slow day and we spent some time watching Genius with Dick and Dom, whilst snuggling on the sofa.





The boys were really enamoured with the Clifton Suspenion Bridge and want to go and visit it this year.
Even the dogs were feeling out of sorts and although I am recovering , I am still very tired too.


Neither child was in a good mood, with these bugs it's hardly a surprise. They spend the first hour in the morning baiting each other.

Then they asked to watch more Dick and Dom.

First it was Elsie Widdersome and explored about how calories are measured and food science.


Afterwards they watched a programme about Von Braun and rocket power.


Owen and I discussed what he wanted to look at next and I suggested a little project I had seen,  it's about poverty in Africa. I explained the average amount a person would have per day would be $1.90 ...he converted this to £1.50 per person. I suggested we try to get breakfast, lunch and dinner for three people.



He started with bread and searched for the cheapest.


We then chatted about looking at whether it would be possible/better/cheaper to make bread. Owen pointed out that he would need to get water too, because not everyone had clean available water.
I mentioned a supermarket comparison site may help him find the cheapest items and he thought that maybe a good idea.

He chatted and thought about each purchase carefully, making a note in his book about how much he had left.



With his purchases he decided the following could be made:

Breakfast:
Toast ( from the homemade bread) , with spread.

Lunch:

Homemade soup with tomatoes and beans and bread.

Dinner:

Jacket potatoes, beans and ham.

He settled on making bread because it was possible to make far more with the ingredients, than if he bought a single loaf.

He finished up and sat and thought. Then handed me his pocket money.
' I want to buy some food for someone who needs it.'
 I suggested the food bank and we looked up the nearest one. As I still can't drive, I pointed out there was the option to make a donation online. So he did that. I was so proud of him.


In between coughing and spinning Sam was working on his maths. He's doing really well working on his own. He has always been unconfident in his abilities, so I am so happy he's finally believing in himself.


The next day was spent running me to hospital for a neuro appointment. We got back home and walked to the pub for a smashing lunch. I needed to rest in the afternoon, so the boys played with Blokey and online with friends.





We did some shopping the next day and stocked up on books from the library. The boys played outside as the sun was finally shining. Later we went for a bike ride, played chess and Owen played online with his friend. In the evening we watched the Lego Movie again.

Sunday morning Sam was feeling much better ( and no nasty steroids was a huge bonus) , so he and Blokey went swinming. Owen and I were still feeling wiped out, so he played online with his friend and I managed to do some house work. It felt good to get the house in a bit more order, as I hadn't managed much during the week. 
Sam and I went for a bike ride.


The afternoon is spent playing indoor games, such as, chess and Rayman, as well as reading and watching films.

No comments:

Post a Comment