Thursday 25 June 2015

Word searches , friends,sunshine and family days out.



We couldn't make it out today for various (very boring) reasons, so Sam asked if I could play chess with him..he's still teaching me, but it's hard as the rules are ..ahem..a tad flexible at times. He's a good teacher though.


So brain games were in order, analysing, memory, mental maths, time etc etc..that took us up to and past lunch time. 

After that Sam wanted to earn some extra pocket money for a game upgrade he's been saving for.
We worked it all out together and he got busy earning  the extra pennies he needed. I added it to his GoHenry card account and we went through the steps to buying his upgrade via online payment.


Lots and lots of sporty stuff, tennis , bowling, baseball, boxing. Jujitsu in the evening and Sensei tells us that boys are ready for their next grading in July.

Quite a few issues today but once things were calm Owen and I played a maths game outside...it was really hot and we took a pitstop for drinks halfway through. Owen decided on how we would play the game and he drew numbers on the paving stones. The furthest away were the highest values.
We played a sort of hopscotch type game with multiplication and addition. Basically, you could do what you wanted with one or a combo of two numbers..the higher the score the trickier it got. 



Afterwards Sam decided he would like to look at his Animal activity book. He chose a seabird word search activity and asked me to look up information on each bird he successfully found on his grid. He is getting much quicker at looking for the words now and organising how he wants to do it.


He then went on to some animal spot the difference games, I was again impressed with how much easier he is finding information on a page now. I think before it was blind panic and he couldn't concentrate.




After lunch we met up with friends and played at their house. The boys had a great time playing games and running round the garden, whilst all the adults caught up. Owen and I watched more Dr Who whilst Sam watched Minecraft videos and we all sat down for pizza when Blokey got home. I managed well but was ill later in the evening...it felt really great to see everyone.


An early start today as both boys were raring to go. We started off with Sam teaching me chess again. We are both new to this game so we looked at the rules and checked we were doing it correctly. Owen was trying to take over the game as we played, so I sorted him out with a few things online elsewhere. Sam is very patient with Owen when he is being tricky, even so he needs his 1:1 time with me too, so we are working out compromises as we go, to make sure he gets it.

Owen had a quick game too...

After many games of chess Sam and I did a crossword, word-search and played a few games of Top Trumps. I did manage to win one game of chess this time and Sam was very gracious about it...he thrashed me on everything else though!


After lunch Owen decided he wanted to battle me at Brain Games..Sam decided he would join us. We did various tests of different levels, Sam and Owen against me *eek* . It was a draw overall and I felt lucky to get that. Next Owen and I played Wii tennis and boxing...he thrashed me.

I finished the housework and Owen went on his PC, where he designed some outfits, including a 'bacon cape' for his Minecraft man. Sam got really interested in one of the Wonderquest videos about space and asked me lots of questions about Mercury etc.


Another tricky start with Owen, I have not been on great form myself all week, so I spent some time talking with him about how we could help each other.
The post arrives and we have a new word games to try.
 We looked into the history of the Punch and Judy show and watched a performance ...Owen thought it was hilarious.




Sam and I discussed the Wonder Quest Videos some more and he told my all the wonderful things about Minecraft and how, in his opinion it was the best kind of learning. The children watched some Wonder Quests and we tried out our new board games.

Takeaway night tonight, so we all gather round the table and try each other's food...we the boys do if they are feeling brave. There was a time they couldn't even sit at the table if we had spicy food.

The next day I woke up feeling so much brighter, the sun was out and we decided to have a family day at Blists Hill Museum, in the Ironbridge Gorge. It's been few years since we went. There is a great deal more to do there than before and we had a fantastic day. 
The boys were amused and terrified of the man pretending to be the Victorian School master, loved the ginger biscuits from the bakery and looked at all the workshops and machinery with great interest. Next time we need to take more cash as they were disappointed that we ran out of money and there was none left for the Sweet Shop and all its enticing jars.


Back home we filled the paddling pool and whilst I pottered around the garden Sam decided to have an outside bath...brrrr..



The following day, we got up early and all went swimming. I don't manage to go often and was rather wobbly afterwards. It really needs both of us there because Owen needs a great deal of support in the water. Both boys did really well and everytime I manage to get there , I can see great progress in Sam's confidence and ability. The rest of the day we all chilled out doing our own thing.

It was a tough week, for a variety of reasons but we definitely ended on a high.


No comments:

Post a Comment