Tuesday 22 September 2015

Pre Holiday weeks were very tricky.


Sam and I made roti/chapati...Sam even touched the dough and got really good at rolling it out. He washed up whilst I cooked them on the hot skillet...you can only have so much peril in one morning. He asked if we could have them with Dad and Owen for our evening meal....'but can it be our surprise?'.



He also did the washing up, humming away happily to himself.


We watched some wildlife stuff with Owen, then Owen asked if we could do some maths on Khan. He got quite frustrated...mainly because his friend kept skyping him he he was 'doing his learning!' .

I did some gardening and harvested the first of our salad greens. There was quite a bit of weeding but I really felt up for it today...have had a much better day pain wise. 'Whoop' .

Today we took Sam for a second opinion regarding his difficulties. We saw a really good consultant but it meant an early start and a drive to Stratford. At the end of the consultation the Dr was sure that Sam has ASD/PDA, possibly dysgraphia ( which I need to look up) and she diagnosed him with ADHD..which we have long suspected.

It's a bitter sweet time for us. Obviously, no one wants their child to have a diagnosis of anything. However, after years of our concerns being dismissed, we also felt some relief at being told it wasn't our fault and that we were correct to get a 2nd opinion. Sam was delightful throughout the whole day and perfectly happy with his diagnosis..'I like being me Mum'.

In order to have the ASD/PDA side officially diagnosed, Sam now has to see a Consultant Psychologist and both reports consolidated..so we have set that up. 

I have sat and cried in private over the last few days, no matter what you suspect yourself, it's still hard to hear it in clinical terms and there is a sort of grieving process...not because your child has changed in anyway...they are still the much loved bundle of wonder...just that you wish some things were easier for them. You can also feel a little alone, especially as a home edder, where the strategies to help your child come solely from you as a parent and educator. 
Luckily I am able to talk to my friends and they offer their usual love and support as we go through this transition.

The rest of the week was tricky in all sorts of ways. Both boys were tired and over wrought and getting them to engage in any task was challenging. I decided to give us the rest of the week off. They attended jujitsu and played with friends.

One day they went to the cinema to watch the Fantastic Four movie , which they thoroughly enjoyed , devouring a packet of peanut M & M's and Haribo minions whilst wriggling about and asking ten thousand questions. On the way back , they stopped off for pizza , which was swiftly despatched upon arrival back at Whitzend.

The children have also been talking incessantly about building a new server in Minecraft where they can become millionaires. As luck would have it I spotted a link for an online course and was ardently encouraged to sign them up for it....we can take bets later as to whether I end up doing the course myself.


Sam is struggling with remembering how much time it is till our holiday is. Ok I will accept, it's driving me slightly mad. I drew up a chart and he can mark the days off and hopefully not have to ask me 10 times per day...usually when I am busy doing something else and lose my train of thought. 
Just a simple thing but it's really worked well and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

We also went swimming and I managed to get Owen to stay in the pool for 45 mins and no meltdown. He can usually manage 20 but then gets tired/distracted....fill in as appropriate. So today the first time he asked to leave I offered to play tig with him. I was a bit crafty and made myself hard to chase on and off. This ensured he kept working his core muscles and didn't get cold. He gets cold really easily. We also pretended we were crabs and scuttled left and right. Good fun..I wonder if it will work next week...hmmm.


Blokey and Sam went shopping. Sam still has some birthday money left and wanted to see if he could spend it in Game.
Owen had a fallout with a friend, so we chatted through ways it could be resolved. We also discussed how you can disagree about things and still stay good friends.
We watch films, I crocheted, chatted and played games together. Sam decided to try a tofu stir fry...and he liked it!




Card games and learning about mammals this morning. We made falafel and I put together a salad.

I made a baby blanket for a friend.




Wildlife documentaries, playing with friends and a new game which they found fun and soothing called Agrio.
http://www.crazygames.com/game/agario



The lead up to our holiday week was really fraught. Stress levels went through the roof, both mine and the children's.

I decided to reduce all demands down to a bare minimum but it was still hard for us all. It's really one of those situations where you can only prepare them so much. They have to experience the flight and new place and as parents we have to wing it. I feel confident they will enjoy their holiday but it's the longest we have taken then away from home, no internet, no iPads and most likely no TV...all the things they use at home to calm themselves. Sam is particularly nervous of the thought of flying but I know he will love the opportunity to swim everyday. *bites nails* . wIsh us luck....






No comments:

Post a Comment